Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tunesday With George: Triple Play

three picks this week:
Kishi Bashi is the pseudonym for part-time Athens resident and sometimes Of Montreal member K Ishibashi. Joyful Noise is his first full length album, and he knocks it out of the park....this album finds the multi-instrumentalist/singing phenom playing the part of a one-man Animal Collective. 

I first heard of Sarah Jaffe through her frequent collaborations with Centro-matic/South San Gabriel frontman, and family friend, Will Johnson. Will J. doesn't appear on this album himself, but fellow C-M/SSG mastermind Scott Danbom is all over it. I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this album, because I was unfamiliar with her solo work, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. The album is expanse, mysterious, and dreamlike...mixing her stand-out voice with strings, piano, synths, reverb-laden guitars, and even a few programmed beats. I'm not sure what kind of music I would call this, other than "good", but I highly recommend checking it out.

The Roots' undun comes out Dec. 6.
I kind of ignored this album when it came out, because I didn't expect to like it much (The Roots are always good live, but I haven't been that into their last couple of studio albums). But at the suggestion of my brother, I went ahead and gave it a listen. It represents a nice new direction for the group, thought provoking as always, with ?uestlove and the crew kicking out their usual arsenal of funky back-beats....but this album is more mellow than usual, taking a page or two out of the Kid Cudi book. Here's my favorite song on the album, featuring soon-to-be Southern super-star Big K.R.I.T.:
Listen HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment