Friday, January 13, 2012

Get Shakin'

The 40 Watt Club
Picture from The Day Jobs
Every year over MLK weekend, Athens-based band the Drive-By-Truckers have a 3-day concert at the 40 Watt to benefit local non-profit Nuci's Space. My next comment is a bit sacrilegious in Athens, but I find the Truckers "eh, okay" - especially with the recent loss of bass player Shauna Tucker and the not so recent loss of the most superior songwriter of the group, Jason Isbell. That said, missing the Truckers weekend shows for an Athenian isn't really allowed, so you will imagine how excited I was to see that Alabama Shakes from Alabama's city of Athens, are the Friday night opener. I've been dying to see them for a while now with too many near misses on shows.
Sharon Jones and the Dapkings is an easy comparison, but the Alabama Shakes have even more soul, dare I say a female Otis Redding?





Hope you have a lyrical weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment