Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Houston, We Have a Problem

When I used to travel for work, stopping for lunch was the highlight of my day. While I usually tried to find cute local spots, sometimes ending up at a chain was inevitable. One chain I always got excited to see was Houston's. I am obsessed with their Thai Steak & Noodle Salad.
I've found a few adaptations for the recipe online, and combined a few of them to get as close as possible to the real thing. This salad is perfect for hot summer evenings with it's sweet mango, crunchy peanuts, and savory steak. I love it, because it is hearty enough for the gents, but light enough for the ladies (or the other way around like in my house).

Houston's Thai Steak & Noodle Salad
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoon lime juice
  • 2 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoon water
  • 2 large clove garlic, minced
  • 3 teaspoons Sriracha
  • 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 4 tablespoon canola oil
Salad Ingredients:
  • 1 pound skirt or flank steak
  • 2 ounce udon noodles, cooked
  • 2 large handfuls of spinach or romaine
  • 2 large handfuls shredded napa cabbage
  • 2 large handfuls of cilantro, chopped
  • 2 large handfuls of mint, chopped
  • 2 small julienned carrots
  • 2/3 cup diced mango
  • 1 handful of crushed peanuts
Recipe:
Mix the dressing ingredients and set aside. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Cook to preferred done-ness on stove, grill, or in the oven. Slice into strips and serve over the salad ingredients. Toss with dressing and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment