Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tunesday with Melissa: Gillian Welch


Mr. Fonty has his Tunesday, and today, I am sharing my pick too.
Gillian Welch's new album, The Harrow & The Harvest, came out a few weeks ago, and it is just lovely. It is a bit slower and even more bluegrass influenced than her other albums.

I was able to see Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings at the legendary and tiny Station Inn in my first month in Nashville. It was an amazing show and I will always have a soft spot for this duo. Their creative relationship and friendship is so wonderful. Mr. Fonty and I are get to see them again at the newly rebuilt Georgia Theater in a few weeks!

I am a huge proponent of buying physical albums. I love reading liner notes and eating up album artwork (and my husband works for a record label and I'm a music snob). Like Robert Ellis' unique, embossed packaging, Gillian Welch went out of her way to set her album art apart and encourage fans to get into the record store. Each album is letterpressed by hand and coffee dipped to give it a warm, aged look. Attention to detail! Here is a super interesting clip filmed at Aardvark Letterpress about the process:

My favorite Gillian Welch/David Rawlings song:


Dave & Gillian with their constant collaborators, Old Crow Medicine Show (Wish I had been this graceful when singing The Weight on stage. But that's a story for a different day.):

No comments:

Post a Comment