Friday, June 24, 2011

Working for the Weekend

I'm moving a little slow today. The New West AthFest Kick Off Party was a complete success, however, I am regretting my late night as I try to muster energy to get some work done.
This weekend, the music mania continues. While you may not be able to partake in the festivities, take some time to check out my picks of the LOCAL lineup via the Internets.

Mr. Fonty and I saw Reptar at the 40 Watt a while back, and I wigged out. I had a few too many Hi Lifes and spent the evening demanding he go back stage and sign them on the spot (why he married me, I'll never know). Mr. Fonty didn't heed my requests, and Reptar just finished an album with Ben Allen. Get your dancing shoes on (Yes, I realize these skateboards are not doing any skating and this is just a song with a backdrop):

Centro-matic will be taking the main stage tonight, and while they are from Denton, TX and live in Austin, they visit frequently enough that it feels like they're local Athenians. Fronted by Mr. Fonty friend, Will Johnson, their haunting, mellow music will be the perfect serenade for my already worn out body.

My dear friend Jaybird (and New West shipping extraordinaire) manages Futurebirds (NOT The Futurebirds). Seeing that the New West offices double as Futurebirds' merch closet, I have every t-shirt the 'Birds have ever made (and they produce a lot of T's). Futurebirds are hot off a tour with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.


Former Drive By Trucker and New West artist, Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit will close out the festival main stage on Sunday. I love Jason's songs. His stuff was always my favorite when he was part of the Truckers. The song below is one of my favorites. No line has ever been so true as I ask myself how it is nearly the 4th of July: "Time moves slow when you're 17, and then it picks up steam at 21"


Have a lovely weekend, Music Fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment