Monday, November 12, 2012

No Land Animals Monday : Salmon

Dinner is served, and no red meat to be seen
The Fonty family diet is pretty out of control. Between my daily spontaneous happy hours with the girls, and Mr. Fonty's affinity for chicken fingers, our meals need a makeover..
Since I'm looking to clean up our lifestyle, I thought it would be a good time to institute Meatless Mondays in our house. By Monday, I am usually in need of some serious detox after a weekend of indulging. The Mr. said he considers fish a meat, so it's officially been dubbed "No Land Animal Mondays" in our house, not quite the same ring, but I'll go with it. 
For our first Meatless Monday, I made an Herbed Salmon from my favorite cookbook, Southern My Way. The salmon is not only healthy, but delicious and incredibly easy to make. Not having enough time in the kitchen cannot be an excuse for eating poorly... 

Herbed Salmon
2 tbsp finely chopped parsely
1 tbsp finely chopped mint
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
4 (6-oz) salmon fillets 
Salt & Pepper
Preheat oven to 450. Combine parsley  mint, garlic, and oil. Season with salt & pepper. Spread on top and sides of salmon. Set aside to come to room temperature. 
Place on a lined baking sheet. Bake skin side down for 10 minutes.

The book serves the salmon over a cucumber salad. I think cucumbers are the devil's food, so I skipped this part. However, I realize I am in the minority on this thinking, so here is the Cucumber Salad:
1/4 c low-fat sour cream
3tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp chopped mint
1/2 tsp salt
cayenne pepper to taste
3 cups very thinly sliced English cucumber
Combine sour cream, lemon juice, mint, salt & cayenne. Add cucumbers and toss. 
mix up the herbs and oil
ready for the oven
yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment