Monday, August 27, 2012

I Don't Think Hank Done It This Way

Two days into 2005, my dad and I pulled my packed-to-the-gills Jeep Cherokee into Nashville, TN. I didn't know a soul, didn't have a job, and prayed I wasn't making a huge mistake. Nashville quickly became home, and the friends I made there, are still some of the most important people in my life. 
Thankfully, 2 weeks after my arrival, for some unknown reason, with no experience or credentials at all, I landed a coveted job working in country music on Nashville's famed "Music Row". To say it was eye opening is an understatement. So, you can imagine my excitement when I saw that this fall, ABC has a new show, Nashville, all about the city near and dear to my heart. The pilot aired on my flight the other day, and the show is so good! I can't wait for the season to begin. If it gets canceled, I am going to call on all my Festers to write letters of protest. 


Everyone's favorite coach's wife/school counselor, Tammy Taylor (Connie Britton), plays the aging country star, Rayna James, who is going up against man-eating hussy, Juliette Barnes, played by Hayden Pantettiere. I was very skeptical about this casting, but Hayden is actual perfect, because she pretty much plays the sleep her way to the top pre-teen brat I have always imagined her to be. 
I've heard rumors that T Bone Burnett is doing the music which is enough to peak Mr. Fonty's interest in the show. Don't listen to the comparisons to Glee. The only thing they have in common is people singing. I promise there is nary a nerd vibe you get from Glee's musical theater and Mr. Schuster. The performances are legit, and I was very surprised to find out that everyone does their own vocals. To make the show even better, it is actually filmed in Nashville. The production staff has done an awesome job of incorporating Nashville culture in every ounce of the show - from Rayna's Loveless Cafe shirt to scenes at the Bluebird Cafe and crushing deals at The Oak Room. It is fun to see my old stomping grounds on the small screen. I hope they don't move filming to LA once the pilot get picked up. 
If you were a fan of Country Strong (and really who wasn't), set your DVR for October 10. 

(and speaking of Country Strong, a little music for your Monday)

No comments:

Post a Comment