Monday, August 1, 2011

I've Got a Secret

I love Emily Henderson's show Secrets from a Stylist on HGTV (Saturdays at 8:30pm). If you aren't watching it, you should be. Emily was last season's HGTV Design Star winner. Her show gives tips on how to style everything from bookshelves to throw pillows. I love her funky, eclectic style that packs a punch of color. It doesn't hurt that I wish she was my best friend and would let me raid her closet.

Emily also has an amazing blog where she recaps each of the episodes and gives a shopping guide for all her pieces. The items she uses are accessible and reasonably priced. Emily is based in LA, and features a combination of big box and unique, local California stores for all you West Coast ladies. Each Monday, the blog recaps the weekend finds from the Rose Bowl Flea Market, and gives tips on what Emily will do to jazz the pieces up - refinishing, reupholstering, etc. A lot of these pieces make it into the show.

Who doesn't love a good Before & After? Click HERE to see some of Emily's.

Here are some of my favorite rooms from Secrets from a Stylist:

Beach-Chic
Emily shared the tip that on photo shoots, stylists line the backs of pillow shams with duct tape to make them look crisp. To mimic this for real life, she lined the front of the shams with grosgrain ribbon easily applied with an iron-on adhesive.
 
Country Pop
The family has kids and wanted a place they could all co-habitate. I LOVE that sofa. The adorable owl lamp on the bookshelf is from West Elm, and will probably be living in the Fonty House soon.
 
This was a Spanish style home, but the home owners didn't necessarily want to it be over the top fiesta.
That credenza is ridiculous! The chair was another Rose Bowl find for $50 that Emily recovered. The rug is a blog favorite from West Elm. Perfection
Mad Men Bohemian
I think I found my dream sofa. Emily had this sofa custom made at Room Service in LA. If I recall correctly, it was pretty reasonable (under $2,000) for a custom sofa with an awesome wooden surround. Great for rooms where the back of a sofa is exposed.
The sling-arm chairs are reupholstered finds from a store in LA.

This was one of my favorite makeovers. Maybe it's because it is the Southern Charm room.
The room before had every piece of white slip covered, over sized, over-stuffed furniture from Pottery Barn. It needed some flavor. The family watches TV in this room, and I like how Emily didn't force them to focus the room around the fireplace. It  seems so much more practical.
 DIY Inspiration
Emily took these curlicue things ($20) and turned them into a pair of my favorite X-base stools by adding a $50 upholstered top to the base. $120 for 2 stools? Yes, please!

I don't have an after picture, but I swear this piece made it into some lucky homeowner's room. Emily had a cushion made for this antique Japanese rice cooker to turn it into an ottoman. Doesn't she make you want to hit your local Flea right now?!?
 All photos from www.stylebyemilyhenderson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment