Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In the Kitchen: Tavern on the Greens

A couple weeks ago, I had about 12 hours in my former home, Nashville, TN. Luckily my shortened trip perfectly coincided with the birthday celebration for one of the finest friends ever. Beverly's birthday party 6 years earlier also happens to be when I really became friends with this amazing group of gals. It was so fun to be back with our supper club group doing what we do best - drinking wine, eating, and gossiping. With 10 weddings, 4 babies - and 3 on the way - under our belts, girls, we've come a long way from our days front row at The Stage and throwing darts at The Villager. I'm lucky to have you all in my life. 
Enough of the sap, I'll get to the point of this post. We celebrated at Tavern in Nashville. (I highly recommend it if you find yourself in the 'Ville). A good half of our group ordered the Kale and Parmesan Salad, and I have not been able to stop craving it ever since. I did my best to figure out what went into this salad, and now that I've figured it out, I plan to eat it every day.

Kale and Parmesan Salad
4 cups Kale cut stripped off stems
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup Parmesan
1/4 cup lemon juice
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

Blanch the Kale. Dry thoroughly in a salad spinner.
Pulse in food processor for 15-20 pulses.
Move to bowl and mix in the rest of the ingredients.

I had my kale salad topped with a delicious piece of grilled mahi. It was a perfect light meal for a hot day.



Pulse the kale in a food processor


Mix in ingredients. I used just enough olive oil to coat it. I didn't want it to be a pesto.

Bon Appetite!
I actually had to omit the parm, because mine was moldy (lovely).  It was still delicious even without the cheese - but I will never leave the cheese out again. Life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment