Monday, April 30, 2012

13 going on 30

A friend sent this out the other day, and seeing that I just turned 30, I felt it was fitting to share. 


In 1997, Pamela Redmond wrote and article for Glamour about all the things she wished she had known/owned and was grateful for knowing by the time she was 30. The editors at the magazine put together a book featuring wisdom from women about what we all should know how to do and own. Here is Pamela's original list -- and my comments, because it is all about ME! 



By 30, you should have...


1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. -- definitely have the latter down.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. -- I'm really cheap, but we have some neat pieces around our house. Nothing too splurge worthy, but things I like now, and am pretty sure I will continue to like in the future. 
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. -- I plan to never again have to wear a business suit or meet with a future employer that isn't myself ever again. 
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. -- I've never carried an umbrella, I prefer to get soaked in the rain and curse myself for not being a person who carries an umbrella. I've got the other 2 covered though!
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. 
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. -- I'm glad all those moments are shared with so many lovely ladies (and some gents), and we can laugh together reminiscing for many years to come. 
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it. -- we'll see about that money set aside. Girlfriend loves to spend her some cash. 
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you. -- done, done, done. But don't expect me to listen to your voice mail. 
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. -- more like a resume that will never need to be sent out. amen.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. -- ahhh bffs
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. -- my cordless drill is one of my favorite things in the whole world. true story. 
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. -- this is one I need to invest in, but see previous note about being el cheapo. 
13. The belief that you deserve it. -- I am woman, hear me ROAR!
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. -- I haven't washed my face outside of the shower since puberty, I consider walking the dog to dinner up the block exercise, and I use my moisturizer as an eye cream. I've got some work to do. 
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better. -- now this one I really came into my own at the age of 30. I've got 2 amazing, new business ventures, the most supportive husband, and the world's most precious puppy and dreams of a family in the years to come. Hello, 30. It's great to meet you.


By 30, you should know ... 
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. -- I think this one is more about falling in love with the right person, and I have been able to do that. 
2. How you feel about having kids. -- yes, please, but not right now. 
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. I've got the quitting down, I plan to never break up with a man again, and life is too short to be so bothered by something that you need a confrontation. don't be friends with people who don't treat you well. simple as that folks. 
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. -- learned this one the hard way. thanks to all the friends who had to sit by idly while I had to learn for myself that some relationships can't be saved. 
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. -- smooch
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. -- Dear Athens GA, Please get a decent tailor. That Jamaican lady I go to has ruined my last pair of pants. 
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. -- done. 
8. Where to go - be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat - when your soul needs soothing. -- a bowl of mac 'n' cheese? 
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. -- or the fat roll that won't tuck into the waistband of my pants. 
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. -- and i was blessed to have incredible parents 
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. -- there's a drinking game in this somewhere... 
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. -- damn you gingivitis.
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. -- don't take anything personally
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. 
15. Why they say life begins at 30 -- Cheers, sister!


How do you stack up? Anything you'd add?

No comments:

Post a Comment