Friday, January 17, 2014

Olive You

I have a new favorite kitchen item: Flavored olive oils from St. Helena Olive Oil Co. 
Image 1Image 1Image 1
I have the Lemon, Basil, and Jalapeno, and they are fantastic! Each bottle packs major flavor punch. The packaging is beautifully simple too, so they make great gifts for the chef who has it all. 
I've been using the lemon most frequently - it's the perfect substitute when a recipe calls from fresh lemon juice, and I am too lazy to go back to the grocery store, because I forgot it. 
One of my favorite ways to use the lemon oil is on brussels sprouts. Gena Knox's Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Pecorino inspired a more "packed pantry" friendly version. I whip these up for a simple dinner or quick lunch all the time. 
Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan
Serves 2-3
3 cups Brussels Sprouts
2-3 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil
1/4 cup water
2-3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese shredded
Cut off brussels sprouts' stem. Slice in half and then cut lengthwise to make ribbons. Heat oil in pan, toss in brussels sprouts. Saute 3 minutes. Add water and stir until evaporated. Let cook 5 more minutes, or until brussels sprouts are desired tenderness. Top with parmesan. 
You can add shallots, bacon, pomegranates, what ever your little heart desires. 
See told you that was easy!

I like to use the jalapeno to add heat to cornbread and saute vegetables - adding spice is the only way to get Mr. Fonty to eat his greens. The basil is perfect on vegetables, salads, fruits, cheese, anything really, it's basil, the most delicious herb of all time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment